Computers male or female?
A pastor of one church who was previously a sailor was very aware of
the fact that that ships are addressed as ‘she’ and ‘her’. He often
wondered what gender computers should be addressed. To answer that
question, he set up two groups of computer experts. The first was
comprised of women, and the second of men. Each group was asked to
recommend whether computers should be referred to in the feminine
gender, or the masculine gender. They were asked to give 4 reasons
for their recommendation.
The group of women reported that the computers should be referred to
in the masculine gender because:
1. In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.
2. They have a lot of data, but are still clueless.
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time
they are the problem.
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that, if you had waited
a little longer, you could have had a better model.
The men, on the other hand concluded that computers should be
referred to in the feminine gender because:
1. No one but the Creator understands their internal logic.
2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers
is incomprehensible to everyone else.
3. Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself
spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.
5. The message, “Bad command or filename” , is about
as informative as “If you don’t know why I’m mad at you,
then I’m certainly not going to tell you.”